JOB TITLE: Disaster Case Manager
FLSA DUTIES STATUS: Non-Exempt SALARY GRADE: 5
REPORTS TO: Disaster Case Manager Supervisor
JOB OBJECTIVE: Under general supervision, counsels and aids disaster survivors, individuals and/or families requiring one or more forms of psychosocial services; interviews clients experiencing problems with personal and family adjustments, finances, employment, food, housing, physical and mental impairments, and/or similar areas; secures and evaluates applicable related information; refers clients to community resources and other organizations.
The essential job duties include but are not limited to:
- In either a clinical or a field setting, interviews clients with disaster related problems such as personal and family adjustments, finances, employment, food, clothing, housing, and physical and mental impairments to determine nature and degree of need.
- Secures information such as medical, psychological, and social factors contributing to client's situation; evaluates these together with client's strengths.
- Counsels clients individually, in families, or in other small groups regarding plans for meeting disaster related unmet needs, and aids clients to mobilize inner capacities and environmental resources to improve social functioning.
- Helps clients to modify attitudes and patterns of behavior by increasing understanding of the nature and source of personal problems, and by identifying and building on personal strengths.
- Refers clients to community resources and other organizations as indicated; may determine or participate in determining client's eligibility for financial assistance.
- Compiles records and prepares reports; develops and/or reviews service plan/recovery plan and performs follow-up to determine quantity and quality of service provided client and status of client's case.
- Accesses and records client and community resource information, manually or using personal computer, to input and retrieve information.
- May work in collaboration with other professional disciplines.
- Provide services that are culturally sensitive.
- Participate actively in community organizations/coalitions serving similar populations and needs, e.g., Logan County Long-term Recovery Group.
- While working collaboratively with other personnel and service providers, is responsible for establishing a respectful relationship with persons served while helping the client gain skills and confidence that will empower them to solve their own problems and meet disaster recovery goals.
- Reinforce the value of the nurturing family and demonstrates a conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change.
- Display appropriate interventions to meet service/recovery goals and ability to set appropriate limits.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- High school diploma; a Bachelor’s degree in a related social service field is preferred.
- at least 3 years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication, listening, and presentation skills.
- Strong flexible interpersonal skills required to interact effectively with employees and managers at all levels in the organization.
- Excellent organizational skills required to ensure that multiple tasks receive adequate and timely attention.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
- Able to influence and persuade others in difficult situations.
- Able to function autonomously and be proactive.
- PC literate and proficient.
- Good proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to coordinate quality assurance programs in area of specialty.
- Ability to counsel clients and/or families in life management and coping skills.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Interviewing and psychological/developmental evaluation skills.
- Knowledge of community support services and funding agencies.
- Knowledge of psychosocial interviewing and counseling techniques.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to drive and possess a clean driving record.
- Bilingual ability, a plus
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSThis is sedentary work that requires the following physical activities:
- Sitting for long periods of time, walking, finger dexterity, feeling, repetitive motions, talking, hearing, and visual acuity.
- Occasional lifting (up to 10 pounds of computer equipment or paper supplies).
- May be required to travel by car or plane to business events or other company locations. Travel may require prolonged sitting or standing.
- Accommodation may be made for some of these physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
- Normal office environment.
- May be subjected to fast-paced decision making, crisis situations.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job duties as required. This job description is not to be construed as a guaranteed contract of employment for a definite period of time.