JOB TITLE: Attorney
FLSA DUTIES STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Immigration Legal Services
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Attorney will provide high-quality legal services to low-income individuals. The Attorney is primarily responsible for assessing individuals’ eligibility for immigration relief and representing individuals before USCIS and the immigration court.
The essential job duties include but are not limited to:
- Conduct consultations and legal research to determine eligibility for various forms of immigration relief.
- Provide high-quality legal representation in various types of immigration applications, with a focus on, family-based immigration, naturalization, DACA renewals, U Visas, VAWA, T visas, and asylum.
- Attend interviews at USCIS and hearings before the immigration court.
- Independently manage diverse and active caseload.
- Conduct community presentations and outreach. These events may occasionally be held in the evenings or on weekends.
- Timely submission of departmental reports.
- Strict compliance with state Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Strict compliance with all CCAOKC policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of the Immigration Legal Services.
This position may supervise office staff and volunteers.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Member in good standing of the bar of any state. (Oklahoma State Bar preferred).
- Fluent in the reading, writing and speaking of Spanish.
- One to two years of immigration law experience preferred, but willing to train the right candidate.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong legal research and analysis skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to interact effectively with employees at all levels in the organization.
- Flexible and willing to adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
- Highly-motivated and able to work independently.
- Passion for serving the low-income immigrant community.
- Capacity to deliver culturally-competent services and navigate cross-cultural interactions.
- Excellent computer skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Westlaw, and willingness and ability to learn our electronic case management software.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSThis is sedentary work that requires the following physical activities:
- Sitting for long periods of time, walking, finger dexterity, feeling, repetitive motions, talking, hearing, and visual acuity.
- Occasional lifting (up to 10 pounds of computer equipment or paper supplies).
- Although the position is based in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, from time to time, it may require travel by car or plane and overnight stays throughout the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City or to the immigration court in Dallas, Texas. Travel may require prolonged sitting or standing.
- Accommodation may be made for some of these physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
- Normal office environment.
- May be subjected to fast-paced decision making, crisis situations.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job duties as required. This job description is not to be construed as a guaranteed contract of employment for a definite period of time.