JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant, Immigration Legal Services
FLSA DUTIES STATUS: Non- Exempt SALARY GRADE: 1
REPORTS TO: Office Manager of Immigration Legal Services
JOB OBJECTIVE: The Administrative Assistant provides administrative and clerical support for the Immigration Legal Services Department (ILS) by performing a variety of clerical, secretarial, receptionist and administrative tasks for the employees of the Immigration Legal Services Department providing direct legal services (ILS Legal Staff) and such other tasks as directed by the Office Manager of ILS (ILS Office Manager).
The essential job duties include but are not limited to:
- Serves as primary contact with ILS by its clients, callers, walk-ins, staff and volunteers.
- Strict compliance with the confidentiality standards and policies established by ILS and by Catholic Charities in general.
- Answers department phones, takes phone messages and distributes information as directed to staff, clients, and callers.
- Provides initial screening of clients for eligibility for legal services offered by ILS.
- Timely and accurately inputs, files, updates and maintains client data and other documents and information as directed by the ILS Legal Staff.
- Timely and accurately creates, maintains and closes client files as directed by the ILS Office Manager.
- Generally, provides typing, translation, data entry, copying, scanning, and other general clerical or administrative duties as directed by the ILS Legal Staff.
- Timely assists ILS Legal Staff as directed by them with the preparation, translation, delivery and/or mailing of correspondence and documents relating to the services provided by ILS.
- Makes or reschedules appointments as directed by the ILS Legal Staff.
- Inputs, compiles and timely reports statistics and other data or reports as directed by the ILS Office Manager.
- Unless otherwise directed by the ILS Office Manager, promptly commences work at 8AM.
- Perform such other tasks as directed from time to time by the ILS Office Manager.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Fluent in reading, writing and speaking of Spanish and English.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- At least one year of clerical or secretarial experience.
- Legal (and/or immigration) knowledge a plus
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication, listening, and presentation skills.
- Strong flexible interpersonal skills required to interact effectively with employees and managers at all levels in the organization.
- Excellent organizational skills required to ensure that multiple tasks receive adequate and timely attention.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
- Strong legal analysis skills.
- Ability to adjust communication style to handle effectively diverse situations.
- Strong attention to detail and good problem-solving skills.
- Typing, filing, copying, scanning and general clerical skills.
- Working knowledge of and ability to utilize the Internet, Westlaw, AbacusLaw and Microsoft Office as needed to perform functions of the position.
- Able to function autonomously and be proactive.
- PC literate and proficient.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTSThis is sedentary work that requires the following physical activities:
- Sitting for long periods of time, walking, finger dexterity, feeling, repetitive motions, talking, hearing, and visual acuity.
- Occasional lifting (up to 10 pounds of computer equipment or paper supplies).
- May be required to travel by car or plane to business events or other company locations. Travel may require prolonged sitting or standing.
- Accommodation may be made for some of these physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodation.
- Normal office environment.
- May be subjected to fast-paced decision making, crisis situations.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job duties as required. This job description is not to be construed as a guaranteed contract of employment for a definite period of time.